A third batch of this one, with Northdown instead of EKG, since I forgot to buy any!
Was planning on using yeast from the last brew, but when I bottled it wasn’t entirely convinced that there wasn’t a slight taint to it, so I’m not risking it. I still have yeast left from the Discovery brew, and it tastes and smells ok, so I’ll use that. It’s a bit old, but it’s been in a sanitised bottle at 12C since I harvested it. Mr. Malty suggests I’ll need 300ml of slurry, and I’ve got plenty more than that.
- Length: 25 litres
- OG: 1.054
- FG: 1.008
- ABV: 6%
Forgot the CRS for the sparge water, so my water chemistry is probably a bit off. I did remember it for the strike water, so the mash would have been at the right pH for all but the sparging process. Used 5.8g calcium chloride and 8g salt in the copper. This time I did remember the protafloc, though…
Forgot to measure the post-boil volume until I’d already drained a few litres into the FV, but it would have been a little above 25 litres (26-27, probably), and bang on the gravity at 1.054.
2014-12-20: Finally got it kegged and bottled. A fornight ago when I racked it into the bottling bucket I checked the gravity and found it had only dropped to 1.020. I gave it a couple of days and found that the racking had roused the yeast enough that it finished off its fermentation, and it was down to 1.008 by last weekend. I was a little hungover after our work xmas bash, then a horrible cold kicked in, so I left it crash cooled for a week at 4C, before kegging 19 litres today, and bottling 1 x 750ml, 5 x 500ml, and 5 x 330ml. Tastes ok (if not perfect), so I think it survived its rather strange journey…