First batch of this for a long while, but since it’s ready to drink pretty quickly, it’s ideal just now. I’ve deliberately kept the SG down as I’d like a sub-5% beer.
- Length: 25 litres
- OG: 1.044
BeerXml File: Weiss Weiss Baby
Weiss Weiss Baby
- Style: Weizen/Weissbier
- Length: 25 litres
- OG: 1.046
- FG: 1.012
- ABV: 4.5 %
- Colour: 6.3 EBC
- Bitterness: 16.9 IBUs
|Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann)||4||2.649||50|
|Name||Alpha||Form||Amount (g)||Time (mins)|
Glucan rest for 30 minutes, but the next infusion was only up to 60C and I need it to be at 95C, so it’s getting a bit longer! It’s a very stiff mash since I only used 6 litres of 44C water with the 5.3kg grain. Looked less like a typical mash, and more like a box full of slightly damp grains..!
I haven’t bothered with any water treatment (aside from Camden tablet) as the other times I did this were before I started treating my water and I was very happy with them.
Looks like a cooler mash than intended – about 62C instead of 66C. This will probably give me a more fermentable mash, but never mind. When I initially added the infusion of 9 litres at 95C I measured it at 67C, so either it dropped a lot during the mash, or it took a long time to stabilise with the grains and at a lower temperature than planned. As a result, the 8 litres at 95C that was intended to mash-out at 76C has only taken it to about 71C. It will sit there for more than the intended 10 minutes, as I need to get my sparging water up to 76C. Will start recycling and draining it before the sparge water is up to temperature, though.
I decided to fly sparge this brew – which is a first for me, as I always batch sparge. My thinking was that if I fly sparge then there will be less chance of a stuck sparge, and if it does happen then I’ll be there when it does. My process was to punch lots of holes in the piece of foil I always lay across the grain bed (during the mash I lay a sheet of foil over the bed, then put enough bubble wrap to fill the tun on top of it – helps retain heat by effectively replacing the air gap above the grains with insulation), then I just poured the sparge water over the top of it. When all the sparge water had been added, I let it finish draining as normal. I ended up with 35 litres in the boiler.
After the boil I had 27 litres in the boiler, which resulted in 25 litres in the FV. It was down to 19C after cooling, and I’m letting the fridge bring it down to 12C, when I’ll pitch the yeast. As before, it then gets a gradual climb to 18C over the next few days. I’m going to let it ferment for a week, the crash cool it for a few days. With luck, I’ll be able to get it kegged at least a couple of days before the 24th, which is when I’d really like it to be ready! At least I don’t need to worry about clearing it up!