- Length: 25 litres
- OG 1048
- FG 1015
- ABV 4%
|Dried Malt Extract Pale
||6 lbs. 9.8 oz
||0 lbs. 12.3 oz
||0 lbs. 1.2 oz
||0 lbs. 1.2 oz
||0 lbs. 0.4 oz
||0 lbs. 0.0 oz
Ran out of plain Goldings, so used 26g Golding, 9g East Kent Golding for bittering, 10g East Kent Golding for flavour.
First boil in insulated boiler – a lot better. Can keep element (now detached!) on 6 and still get good boil.
First ferment in Fermentation Fridge! ATC800+ set at 20+/-1C for first 2 days, then 18+/-1C.
OG 1045 @ 32C = 1048
SG 1016 on Sat 07 Aug 2010. Tasting good already, bit grainy and bitter, should mellow in the cask.
FG 1015 on Sun 08 Aug 2010. Bottled 10, rest in keg.
Update 2010-08-26: Conditioned for 1st week in fridge @ 18C, then in garage @ ambient for 2nd week while the Coopers #4 was fermenting, then back in fridge for cold conditioning @ 10C on Sat 21 Aug.
Update 2010-09-05: Tried it for the first time yesterday. I poured a bottle of TEA to compare the two, the first time I’ve done so. The colour is spot-on, and the flavour is similar. The big difference is that there’s quite a lot of hops flavour up-front in my version, but I expect that to fade with time. It’s also got a lot more head when poured from the keg, so has a very different mouth-feel; I’d say that the bottled “real” TEA is a cleaner, fresher, taste. Mine is also a bit cloudy still, so we may have something closer when it drops clear.
Update 2010-09-08: It’s now dropped clear, and the flavour has changed again. It’s now rather like the JCB I did previously, quite bitter with a very hoppy flavour. Rather nice, in fact.
Update 2010-09-23: Not sure if there aren’t acetaldehyde flavours in this. Maybe I should have used 2 packs of S-04 since it was a 25 litre brew length. Unfortunately, I’m not sure what acetaldehyde actually tastes like, but there’s a slight sourness to it. Nothing too unpleasant, certainly not undrinkable, but there’s a taste that probably shouldn’t be there. Hope the Exmoor Gold doesn’t suffer the same problem.
Update 2010-09-26: My wife thinks it’s more of a medicinal taste, so it’s more likely phenols than acetaldehyde. Could be both, of course, so I will double up on the yeast next brew. I ground up a campden tablet and added it to the remaining beer in the barrel (just under half), and it’s definitely tasting a little better, so it may be that some of the chlorophenols have been neutralised. I’m no chemist, so I may be speaking rubbish, of course. I tried a bottle and it’s also not tasting right, so I think it may be down to insufficient rinsing of the barrel (since I bottled out of the barrel).
Update 2010-09-29: That didn’t work. One unpleasant flavour has gone, but been replaced by another. Less than half a barrel left, but I think it’s probably going down the sink. Pity!