Based on GW’s recipe for London Pride, but this is another recipe that’s been fiddled with to match my ingredients!
- Length: 29 litres
- Yeast: Windsor
- OG 10.4Bx = 1.040 (1.042 by hydrometer)
- FG 5.2Bx = 1.010 (1.012 by hydrometer)
||11 lbs. 2.8 oz
|Crystal Malt, Dark
||0 lbs. 4.2 oz
|Crystal Malt, Pale
||1 lbs. 1.6 oz
||0 lbs. 0.5 oz
||0 lbs. 0.3 oz
||0 lbs. 0.3 oz
||0 lbs. 0.4 oz
||0 lbs. 0.1 oz
Strike water heated to 76C, into pre-heated mash tun, when doughed in the thermometer was reading 64C, which is a little lower than I was aiming, but is good enough for me. Don’t know why I’m so low, but it is a cold day and the crystal and top-up 70g of MO were at garage temperatures (i.e. cold!), though the 5kg of MO was at room temperature.
Since it is such a cold day I’m doing this brew inside the garage. The heights of everything aren’t ideal, but it does mean a lot shorter distance from the boiler to the fermentation chamber. I’m going to try to minimise the sauna effect by using my tumble drier hose tucked in to the top of the boiler, with the space around it padded out with foil. I’ve joined two pieces of hose together to get a long enough run to get outside. It’s a 29 litre batch, which means around 37 litres will be boiled, in my 70 litre boiler that should give plenty of space to prevent it boiling over. It’s not doing a lot, but we don’t have a sauna in the garage, so it could be worse.
Since I’m boiling in the garage I’ve also got a CO detector and a fire extinguisher to hand. Just in case!
I’ve also worked out what depth in the boiler corresponds to what volume of liquid. Fortunately it’s a cylindrical pot, so the maths was simple! I should manage to actually take some proper measurements for this brew…
So, 15 litre mash, 10 litre top-up, and 19 litre second batch. I got 40 litres in the boiler, but then I forgot to measure the amount post-boil. It’s gone in a shiny new 45 litre fermenter (to give me a bit more room on these longer brews), but I’ve not calibrated that bucket either. So I have no idea how much wort I’ve ended up with…
I only have 1 pack of Windsor, so that’s all that’s gone in. It’s probably a bit too small a quantity, but we’ll see how it fares.
2012-01-22: Bottled 12, rest in barrel. Still cloudy, but I didn’t have time to fine and cold-crash it, so tough. It may take longer to clear, but it will still be ok! Tastes not completely unlike Pride, which is good. When racked into the FV for bottling I had about 28 litres. Before racking it measured at 32.5cm from the base in my new 45 litre FV (need to work out the volumes on these!) I was intending to brew today, but unfortunately I need to go in to work (boo! hiss!), so I could have given it a couple of extra days to cool, but by the time I knew it was too late…