Some notes for my own convenience, so I don’t forget!
- Mash Tun dead space: 600ml
- Evaporative losses: ~10% on 25 litres, 15% on 15 litres (i.e. ~2.5 litres over 90 mins)
- Boiler dimensions: 29cm base, 33.5cm rim, perpendicular height 37.5cm. Total volume 28.8 litres.
- Boiler dead space: 1.5 litres (with no tilting of the boiler)
- StarSan dilution: 2ml / litre (a little over the recommended, but easier to measure)
- Gelatine finings: 6g in 100ml for a 25 litre batch. Boil, cool to 85C, add gelatine, whisky madly, when down to 50C add to beer and stir gently.
- Hops absorbtion: 1Kg of Hops Displaces 1L and Absorbs 15L in the copper
1Kg of Spent Hops Retains 6L of Wort
Links to blog posts about equipment:
- Fermentation Chamber
- Tube heater for Fermentation Chamber
- Exhausting the boiler
- Bottle rinser and drainer
Cleaning cornies and lines:
- Rinse corny out with with cold water using spray attachment on hosepipe until bright. If crud on side use plastic scrubber to remove.
- Add 5L cold water to corny. Shake then flush via tap.
- Repeat with about 3L hot water (shake, flush via tap)
- 3L Purple Line cleaner (mine diluted at 10cc cleaner in 1L water). Shake, start flush until lines full. Leave 20 mins, then finish flush.
- Add 5L cold water to corny. Shake then flush via tap & repeat
- 1.5L Starsan solution (mine diluted at 1.6cc SS in 1L Ashbeck water). Shake, start flush until lines full. Leave 2 mins, then finish flush.